Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Endless (sort of) supply of tortilla chips for 49 cents!

Took advantage of Harris Teeter's great promotion of doubling coupons of value up to $1.98 tonight. I will write more about the whole experience tomorrow (the good, the bad and the downright embarrassing!) but decided to use this post to talk about one of my favorite snacks...homemade tortilla chips.

I saw this on Food Network awhile back. Food Network is my favorite SHOW. I know its a network, but virtually any show on there, aside from Paula Dean, is better than whatever else is on TV at any given time.

Take corn tortillas that you buy in the store and cook them in the oven. Put aluminum foil down, spray with Pam-like spray and then place sliced and diced tortilla chips on the tray. Spray again (I like Olive Oil variety, sure any would work) and then sprinkle with Kosher Salt. Put in oven at 350 for 10 mins, or you can eyeball for crispness.

Are these as good as what you get at your favorite Mexican restaurant? Not even close. Not even as good as Tostitos. BUT, and this is huge, you save money by not plowing through an entire bag that I know I can eat in one sitting because it requires some effort to make them AND this variety is much healthier than the store bought chips. The taste is certainly good enough (and this comes from the person who refuses to eat FF or Low Fat just about anything!) and since you can make so many (about 6 to 8 chips from each tortilla, depending on how you cut) you are saving big bucks.

One of the lessons I learned doing this, is don't make a big batch and expect them to stay good for a few days. I have found these only last about a day, and then they become flat.

So, since Harris Teeter had their crazy sale, I had $1 coupon for Misson products. That became $2 off. And the corn tortilla's cost $2.49, thus 49 cents tortilla chips. Heck even without the sale, the regular price of 30 tortillas (which a conservative cutter would get 180 chips from) is far better than a bag of Tostitos, which runs at least $3 most places, and while I have never counted, my guess is has less than 180 chips.

N.B. We received some VERY GOOD news today. My husband was offered a job, and begins next Wednesday. Rest assured though, this blog will continue! We made a dent in our savings to stay a float, so we have to build that nest egg up again. Happy Reading, and thanks again to everyone for their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment