Saturday, September 19, 2009

Tier One still not good enough

We have good credit, dare I say great credit. Even the Honda financing office we sat in this morning as we worked on the paperwork for a new CR-V said so. He called it "Tier One," saying that's the best there is.

We don't have a new car though, and are unlikely to have one anytime soon.

Despite the fact we have a decent downpayment (roughly 25% of what we would be financing)and we have such good credit, we still can't get an interest rate lower than 6%! This means our monthly payment would work out to be about $100 more than we planned on.

So its back to the drawing board...thanks lousy economy!

2 comments:

  1. Have you considered the pros and cons of a used car? I have a very hard time with the idea of paying interest over time on something that depreciates in value while I'm paying interest on it...

    I'm a big believer in used cars - in fact, I've never owned a car with under 101,500 miles on it. I'm currently driving a 20-year old SAAB that cost me $1,100. It gets better mileage than most of the new cars I see advertised (the turbocharger helps with that, of course) and it's absolutely solid.

    I realize that my decision wouldn't work for everyone, but I'm wondering if you might be better served by looking for a gently used Honda - they're out there, and with the amount you're willing to put down up front (what an odd combination of prepositions), you should be able to drive away happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael, I am open to a used car, but my husband prefers to spend money on a new one. We may have to go that route eventually, but marriage is all about compromise so for now we will try to get a new one. Thanks for the thought though, appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete