Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Harris Teeter coupons...more fun!

This past week HT had a promotion of doubling coupons up to $1.98. It ended at 11:59 pm last night. I, of course, didn't make it there until just after 8 pm. Here is what I purchased, with normal price per item.

Rice-A-Roni (3 boxes) $1.79 each
4lbs sugar $2.69
Lysol Disinfectant Wipes $3.49
Newman Salsa $3.15
Kraft Horseradish $2.19
4 pack Ziploc Containers (2 boxes) $3.65 each
Scrubbing Bubbles Shower Foamer $4.79
Tide Detergent, 96 loads $22.49
Bounty 8 Roll package $8.97
Downy Liquid Softener $3.99
4 Snickers Bars .50/each
HT Shredded Wheat $1.97
HT Dishwasher Soap $3.79
Arizona Iced Tea .99
Lady Speed Stick (2) $3.19 each
Colgate Paste $3.15
2 Raw Carrots .83-total
Starbucks Java Ice Cream $4.19
Rice Pudding $3.19

Total Before Coupons and HT Promotions: $109.99

What I paid: $60.19!

Yup, that's right, yet again the savings they offered through their coupon promotion, plus the sales they were offering already, we saved boatloads. I don't need 4 Snickers bars, but we didn't wind up paying for them because the coupon I had was $1/off two, which became $2 off...and I wasn't going to just buy 2 bars and give THEM a credit of $1. The Starbucks Ice Cream was on sale for $3, and I had a $1/off coupon, which became $2. So I in essence paid $1 for it..YUM! Perhaps the best deal, the Ziploc containers were on sale for $3/each. I had a coupon that was $1.50 off/when you buy two. So I bought two, at HT price that became $6, but with my coupon I got 8 Ziploc containers that regularly would cost me close to $8, for $3! Also, you see I bought new dish detergent. Electrosol just did not cut it, and was a waste of water not to mention energy to continue to use when we would have to wash ourselves afterward, so it was pitched. I can say HT brand works fine, just like my beloved Cascade.

Obviously I love HT. Its convenient to where we live, its clean, the people are friendly and the food is good. But I do have a complaint. The sale ended at 11:59, yet they were taking down the sale prices while I was shopping. I asked the girl why it was HT policy -- knowing full well she was doing what she had been told -- and she went and got her manager. I felt bad, I didn't want to get her in trouble. He gave me some song and dance about corporate makes them do it starting at 9 pm, but he was happy to get me a circular. I said no thanks, and suggested perhaps they tell associates to not take down tags when customers are looking at the items. Ironically, a few minutes later I checked the time to make sure I wouldn't miss out on Five Guys (our celebratory dinner) and it was only 8:43 pm..so the girl and the manager started this process even before corporate wanted them to. I just think this is dumb.

I was also surprised at how many items my HT simply didn't have. I had coupons for half-dozen plus items that they didn't carry.

Finally, the humorous/embarrassing part of the night only a mother could love..I am checking out. Just handed in all my coupons, open up my purse and my wallet is no where to be seen! DOH! Its still in the diaper bag!! So, I apologize profusely and run to car. Cashier was very polite, but I was mortified.

Coming tomorrow: Questions answered...hope to make this a weekly posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment