Sunday, September 13, 2009

No brainer

Here's a question I think my 6 year old niece would know the answer to.

If you have two products, exactly the same, the first costs $2 and has contents of 250 and the second costs $2.50 and has contents of 200, which do you buy?

In another section of the store, you have two packages, again same product, one has 15 oz and costs $1.50 and the other has 7.5 oz and costs $1.99 (at least), which do you buy?

In the first example I compared brand name vs. Guaranteed Value coffee filters. For reasons that escape me, it costs 50 cents more to buy a "brand name" coffee filter. Huh? I mean I do understand brand loyalty, but for a coffee filter?? So needless to say, we bought the GV coffee filters.

I have found much success with GV products, and have seen them in Safeway and Giant. Since December, we have purchases GV ketchup, aluminum foil, paper towels and now coffee filters. As a rule I will likely purchase GV over a more expensive brand, unless proven regretful, from here on out. Its cheap, but it also works. I had never really paid attention to it (think I had seen it) before we became so money conscious. Now its what I look for.

In the second example I compared Care One brand anti-bacterial soap to the brand names. I discovered Care One when we started doing Peapod last year and it appeared as the cheapest brand. It works just as well, and why spend the extra money for fancy packaging. The example above was a bulk container, so if you really must have the brand name soap in your bathroom on display, buy that, but refill with Care One. CO also sells its 7.5 oz for about $1 if you don't want to buy the big jug.

Hope you all had a good weekend. We may or may not have purchased a car....more on that later, once we know.

No comments:

Post a Comment