Thursday, September 24, 2009

Practicing What I Preach

Last night my husband and I had a heart and soul conversation. For years I have desperately wanted to take him to New England in the fall where I went to college. I wanted to take him around campus, see the turning leaves and re-introduce him to some of my closest friends who he met for all of five minutes at our wedding. If he got the job, this WAS going to be the year.

Emphasis on was.

We desperately need a new car. I am increasingly less confident driving our son in the one we have, not to mention my husband gets parking at work so it seems like a waste to have him spend money on public transportation when that money could be going toward a car. Our shower plumbing is just atrocious and in about two hours the plumber will come and tell me what the damage is and I shudder to think, since we have been putting this off for years...literally. Finally the wiring in our bathroom has gone up, so we have been showering in the dark for more than a week. This weekend my college roommate and her family (who just moved to the area...yippee!) are coming over so her handy-man husband can help my husband figure out what the problem is, and if we have to shell out even more money to an electrician.

So this morning I wrote a sad email to the two friends we would have crashed with, saying that this year (again) our trip would not work. Between my husband's flight, gas, and at least one night in a hotel, not to mention food, the trip is just too much now. Making hard choices like this is what has allowed us to not be in debt, so I am trying to see the positive. Still, I am very disappointed and hope maybe 2010 will be our year, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment