Monday, September 14, 2009

Use your head (or a calculator)

Growing up I used to always love going to the grocery store with my mom. She had it down to a science, where she would hit Mars first and then Giant or the A&P and then for a very few special items Grauls, and then we were home. Every once in awhile I could convince her we "needed" Klondike bars or donuts, or if I was really lucky Green's Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.

These trips created fond memories for us, but they also taught me a valuable lesson. My mom ALWAYS knew (and still does) how much the bill would cost within a few dollars before we hit the checkout! She would keep track in her head how much each item was and add up as we went along, and she always factored in coupons.

Now, I do this. Between my mom and Catholic school education, my basic math skills are top notch -- note I said basic. I do this with everything, not just the grocery store, but credit cards, speciality stores, Christmas presents, you name it. Last month when our credit card bill arrived my husband opened and asked me to guess...I was within $8, and the bill was more than $600!

I was saving this tip for later, but I saw this article in Parade over the weekend where they talk abut bringing a calculator in the store with you to keep track. There are some other tips included, so I thought it was relevant and timely. I hate big purses, so no chance am I lugging a calculator in there (and if you say its on my cell phone, there is a 50/50 chance that is still in the car...ha!).

Keeping track, whether by calculator or in your mind, will help you save money. You will know if you can afford those donuts or not and you won't have any unexpected surprises. In the end, isn't that what saving is all about?

5 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm really proud of myself when I get it within a dollar. I can only do it if it's $30 or less. It's also a great way to double check the cashier. Sometimes the stores err, and if the total is higher than expected, it can flag you to figure out what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I've noticed in the many years I've been shopping for myself is that items I buy at the supermarket seem to have an average price
    of $3. I've been keeping track of this for about 10-15 years or so, and the average cost hasn't changed much. Sure, some of the things I
    will buy are more expensive - milk, for instance - but other things offset the cost of it.

    I'm curious to know whether this "rule" holds true for others. It's held true for me even though I no longer buy produce at the supermarket (since I have access to an incredible greengrocer/specialty food store in my town) and only buy staples there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly my HTML skills are not up to this task.

    ReplyDelete