Friday, September 11, 2009

Better than Ragu

And it cost less than 2...bucks that is.

I was trying to be poetic, thats what a few glasses of wine will get you.

Seriously though, tonight I am posting my sauce recipe, and it costs less than $2, especially if you shop at Giant this week since they are having a crazy sale, with the tomatoes (anywhere from $1.39 to $2.50) going for $1! Usually sauce, whether it's Ragu, Prego or whatever your poison, costs AT LEAST $2.50, and closer to $3 or even $4/jar.

Ingredients

1 can 28 oz of tomatoes (your choice here, they have crushed, diced, whole, stewed, herbed and sauce...just pick one)
1 can 6 oz tomato paste

Chopped Onions*
Chopped Mushrooms*
Diced Garlic*
Peppers*
1 TBSP oregano*
1 TBSP oil*

*all optional, add amounts to your own preference.

If using optional ingredients...heat oil in large pot, ideally 3 qt. When oil is hot, add ingredients to your taste and simmer...usually about 2-4 minutes.

Pour tomato can and tomato paste in and stir. Heat on low-medium heat, stirring occassionally, until fully blended..about an hour. Serve.

Once I decided I was going to make my own sauce, I saved three bottles that old sauce came in. Put through washing machine and now use for storage of my own sauce. Is this sauce what some Italian Grandmother makes all day in her kitchen, not exactly. But it genuinely does taste better, especially if you tweek to your own preference than store bought does.

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment