Friday, September 18, 2009

The Master List

This is a list of where I buy my staples and how much I pay for them. I will update this list regularly, and list the update 'date' below, as well as mark new items with an asterick.

UPDATE >>> Sept. 25, 2009

Bananas .19/each -- Trader Joe's
Chix Breast 5 lbs $10 -- Harris Teeter (when they have their BOGO sale, about once every six weeks or so)
Coffee 39 oz Ground $5.69 -- Target
Eggs (12 Large) 1.19 -- Trader Joe's
Ground Beef 90/10 -- Wegman's (must buy in bulk, minimum 6 lbs)
Half & Half (Lucerne) $3.99 1/2 gallon -- Safeway
Pizza Dough (TJ brand) .99 -- Trader Joe's
Whole Wheat Spaghetti $1.29 -- Trader Joe's
Yogurt (Lucerne) .50/each -- Safeway

2 comments:

  1. I read your blog often b/c I find myself neeidng to scrimp and save in this economy and really enjoy the tips, hints and tricks, but I was wondering over this one in particular...is it really that much cheaper to go to all these different stores? How much more time and gas money would you be saving over going to 3 or more stores for food/groceries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yaya,
    Thanks for reading! Glad some of the tips are helpful. To answer your question, I think it depends on how far apart your various stores are. I can go 3 miles from my house and hit Giant, Safeway, Harris Teeter and Trader Joes. Take half-and-half for example. That lasts awhile. Since I can generally tell when its running low, I make a mental note and stop by Safeway when out and about and passing it. Now if you live in an area where your stores are farther apart it might not be as worth it. It also depends on when you generally do your shopping. Even before my son was born I shopped at night because the stores are less crowded.

    ReplyDelete