Thursday, September 17, 2009

Consignment sale & diapers

Last weekend I went to the Northern Virginia Mom's of Multiples consignment sale in Arlington. I spent $40 exactly. I spent it on multiple pairs of pants -6 or so- (he needed them, cordory overalls, a casual Christmas outfit, numerous long sleeve shirts (again needed, desperately), half-dozen onesies, Stride Rite shoes and a nice puzzle. The best buy was definitely the shoes, they were $1.

People have asked me what I thought. It was definitely worth going. I was expecting more of a mad house, but it was very well organized and the system worked. They took credit cards and the volunteers were all helpful.

While I am happy with what I purchased, I was surprised with some of the quality I found. Some items were beautiful, I mean really very nice, something you would expect out of a catalog. But these items were way overpriced for what I would pay at a consignment sale. Other items were in deplorable condition, including a onesie that was horribly stained. So what if it was for sale for only 50 cents? I appreciate a good sale as much as anyone, and also appreciate wanting to get as much for your money as possible, but this stain was not coming out. Period. Yes, it was still a functional onesie, but really, that bad a stain? Why not just donate to someone who really needs clothes, instead of trying to make money off of something I can't imagine anyone buying.

What was interesting about this sale is it was the first time since my husband got his job that I consciously decided to spend more money, because my time was more valuable. All the items still available at noon became half price. I could have put my items down at 11:30, gone back to the front of the line and started over at 12:15 pm and sorted back through the items, and paid perhaps $20. But that would have been an extra hour away from my son and husband, and I just wasn't willing to sacrifice that.

I am glad I went. I will try to hit more in the future. For a list of the remaining consignment sales in the DC/VA/MD area, click here.


DIAPERS, DIAPERS, DIAPERS...
Ok, why I love Diapers.com #324. I ordered diapers, a board book, food and a food tray for my son around 5 pm yesterday. Today when I got back from my playdate they were here. That was a 12:30 pm! And I didn't have to schlep anything...yippee!

2 comments:

  1. If you really want to save some $$ you should try cloth diapering- savings can really add up, especially if you plan on having another baby and can use the diapers for a 2nd child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn,
    Thanks for reading! And I agree cloth diapers ARE CHEAPER! Unfortunately, we live in 800 sf of love and the washing machine is right next to my son's room. I barely find enough time now to do laundry during the day when he is awake that I can't imagine what it would be like having to do diapers. Hopefully one day we will have a bigger home and more kids and I can try cloth diapers, I agree its definitely the way to go when its feasible.

    ReplyDelete