Monday, January 11, 2010

The wisdom of friends...

Good morning! I hope you all had a great weekend...we did. My husband was in Texas for his best friends wedding and our son and I stayed here in Northern Virginia and tried to stay warm. Great playdates with Jack, Owen and Jonah made the weekend a blast.

Substitutions: In case you have wondered as I have, can you substitute olive oil for veggie oil when baking? The answer from my friend Connie is NO! She made triple chunk chocolate brownies this weekend, a great treat in this cold weather. In her words, it was "a disaster."

On thing I did learn this weekend about substitutions though, how to make Buttermilk when you don't have it, and don't want to spend $$ for it when you only need a little bit. Here's how -- put EITHER a tablespoon of white vinegar OR lemon juice in a measuring cup. Fill the rest of the cup up to the 1 CUP line with milk. Let it sit for about 5 mins, stir and VOILA! Use immediately. I made this recipe (minus the pesto),added a few spices for taste and it was great! Enjoy.

New blog to follow: I will add this to my blog roll, but this shout out goes to my Emerald friend who like me is trying to save as much as possible. She is a real thrifty momma like me, and I know she will have good deals...especially for those of you in New England.

No comments:

Post a Comment