Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Shinola List

I say Shinola because this is a family friendly blog...but you get my drift.

First up, it is 3:54 pm. I should be on my way to visit two of my girlfriends back home in Baltimore. This was a new years resolution, see more of each other -- such as once a month -- sans kids, than we did in 2009. Instead I am waiting on my couch for the Sears guy to come and tell me what is wrong with my flaming dryer and when they will REPLACE it. Forgive me if I have no desire to have a fire-laden dryer repaired. He was due here between 8-12. I have called several times, been hung up on and told they have no idea. This last operator apologized, called the repairman unprofessional and said I was "next." We'll see. I am fuming though, this day has been utterly wasted.

Next, the good people at Wells Fargo. They have our mortgage. We have never missed a payment. NEVER. We pay more (not much, I admit, but still more) than the monthly minimum. So imagine my horror and dismay when we received a letter from them yesterday saying they would begin foreclosure proceedings against us if we didn't give them more informaton about our finances! HELLO? I called and was told, even before I asked anything that our records and bills were current. She wanted to know what she could help me with. I calmly told her I didn't understand why I got this letter, and in no uncertain terms let her know I was less than pleased having received such letter. She apologized and said it was a form letter.

We have been trying to refinance our mortgage or modify it under the Obama plan from last winter. So far we have been turned down. Ok, fine. Turn us down, but that doesn't mean we are now defaulting! One day we will refinance, and as God as my witness we will never have a mortgage with Wells Fargo again. Ever.

Finally, Travelers Insurance. I have been with them since I was a renter in DC. I was always proud of them and the work they did. I felt my monthly premiums were ok because they offered piece of mind. Wrong. Despite being told by two people at Travelers that our balcony assessment would be paid for its not. So here is several more thousand dollars we don't have to pay for something I thought was covered.

Today my husband sent me the names of insurance companies as I had asked him to, and I am going to begin finding us new coverage. Whats the point of insurance if its not going to have your back when you are specifically told "take out policy x, it will cover that" and then it doesn't.

I send you this rant today for your own money saving reference. First, make sure to read the fine print. I don't even want to think about what Wells Fargo would have done had I just ignored that letter. Second, when dealing with insurance, either homeowners, car or property, make sure to have an ample supply of patience. If I had actually taken off of work today to be home, I would be even more irrate than I am now.

Ugh...ok, 4:05 and they are still not here.

No comments:

Post a Comment