Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lost the battle but *WILL* win the war

Two years ago we were warned that an assessment was coming down the pike of our homeowners association. I immediately bought insurance called "loss-assessment." I explained to the seller the details and the myriad of reasons this could happen and what we were expecting. She assured me that if we were assessed we would be covered.

Sure enough we were assessed. The saving grace is that the assessment which was originally rumored to be anywhere from $10k-$20k will "only" be about $2,500.

I called the insurance company on Saturday and explained the situation. I was again assured that my plan did indeed cover the assessment. I needed to talk to a claims representative, but in the words of the woman I spoke with on Saturday, "they'll handle it." The 'they' being the insurance company.

Today we got word that, no in fact, they are not covering it!

I spoke to the claims rep AND his boss. They now claim that I was sold a bill of goods and encouraged me to call back the policy line and see if I could get my money back for that part of the policy for the last few years. Gee, thanks guys.

I told them, and I was dead serious that if they did not cover at least a portion of this we were walking. Period. This is the 2nd major expense we have had as homeowners in the last four months that they have not covered. They have excuses, but my real problem is WHY WAS I TOLD TWICE IT WOULD BE COVERED?!?!?!!?!

All they said was sorry.

My husband now has a new job, because I D.O.N.E dealing with them and the insurance industry as a whole. I am going to give him a list of the things I want in coverage. He has until the end of the month to find us new cheaper coverage.

Doesn't matter we (and before me, when I was swingin' single gal renting in the big city) have been with this company for nearly 10 years. They don't care and now not only do I not care about them, I refuse to pay them. And since I know in my core we can get insurance for less, this is the last straw. I had been staying with them (both home and car) because of this pending assessment. Now, there is no point.

Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment