Friday, August 28, 2009

While the cat's away...the mouse will play

Ok, not really. But I thought the title was fun.

But this is sorta true. You see while my husband and I agree on most things, one thing we definitely do not agree on is the air conditioning. I would have it off almost all summer, except maybe when its 100 or more outside and humid. He would have it on until fall when we immediately turn on the heat. We are not alone. The Washington Post did a cute piece on this issue earlier this month.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/01/AR2009080101839.html

I once lived in a downtown DC apartment with no AC. I lived there quite happily until boyfriend-now-husband elicited the pity of our friends who donated an AC to the cause. Its not that I love the heat, I actually hate it. Would rather live in Alaska than Florida. But AC is expensive and I have always been averse to putting it on.

My aversion worked well this summer. Admittedly DC was not THAT hot early on, but still hot enough that we otherwise would have had it on. Later when it became clear that our son got his sleeping genes from Dad and couldnt sleep in even moderately warm weather, we had to turn it on. The difference was profound.

July bill: $46.32
August bill: $76.25

I have no idea what September bill will be, I admit I am a bit terrified. What I do know is that my husband was out of town for business, and when I saw the extended forecast for temps AT WORST in the low '80s and many in the 70s, I turned it off.

When he came home tonight and saw the windows open and fans running he lamented, " I take it the AC is off for good." Yup. It is. Back to saving.....

The moral is pretty clear. You don't NEED AC, generations survived for 100s of years without it. And by not having it on all the time, you cut your costs and don't dread the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment