Sunday, August 23, 2009

Make your own snack bags

This money saving tip comes courtesy of my friend ML, and the timing comes courtesy of the good people at Target and Harris Teeter.

Remember last week when I got the great deal on snack bags. When all was said and done I probably paid less than $1 for 50 Ziploc snack bags which they promote on the outside as good for 100 calorie snacks (they give your more than a dozen combos of what makes an approx 100 calorie snack). 100 calorie snacks seem to be all the rage. I admit I love the Oreo variety.

This week in its circular Target advertises as a sale Doritos 150 calorie snacks. A box of 10 bags, each with 150 calories costs $3.99. It doesn't say what the regular price is. But when I was in Giant today I checked out their selection. They had regular Doritos for regular price at $3.99. I checked the servings size and it too had 10 servings, 150 calories each.

So you are now saying, well that's the SAME PRICE! In today's cosmic universe, yes. But normally the snack bags are more expensive, and frankly I didn't even see them at Giant. And you can always find Doritos (or Oreos or whatever else your favorite snack is) on sale and buy at that time.

The moral of this post is, buy your own snack bags and make your own 100 or 150 or 75 calorie snacks. When you buy the prepackaged snacks all you are paying for is the extra bags. When you make them yourself you save money...and heck you probably help the environment too (if you really wanted to be thrifty you could reuse the snack bags over and over if its the same snack which would even save you more...don't laugh, I do this with my son's crackers all the time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment