Thursday, August 27, 2009

On a freezer bag kick

Freezer bags are expensive! The gallon bags which have areas for you to write on can set you back. I would give you an exact figure except for the fact I so rarely buy them because of their cost.

So what do I do? If you freeze a lot of ground beef or chicken (I do!) that you buy in bulk, you can reuse the bag over and over again. Either wash the the bag when its empty and put to the side, or when you see you are running low on the chicken* go buy more and place in the bag with the frozen bits.

What about bags of vegetables or left over pizza or small pieces of steak? I reuse the bags I get at Harris Teeter or Giant in the deli department. They have a snap or a ziploc-like feature and are the perfect size for opened bags of veggies.

You can't escape buying freezer bags...but you can space out the purchases.

*Boneless/skinless Chicken is on sale this week at Magruders (www.magruders.com) for $2.49/lb!

No comments:

Post a Comment