Saturday, October 10, 2009

Clean out your fridge & your freezer

Real quick Saturday post that dawned on me as I was getting my lunch and getting ready for dinner.

1. Make sure to clean out your fridge of leftovers and not forget them. This might sound obvious but it was eye-opening when we first started counting every single penny how much food we wasted from leftover dinners that could have either been a whole meal in itself or combined with other items. Today for lunch I finished off both the chicken from the other night, as well as corn from earlier in the week and continued to make a dent in the Spanish Rice which was enough to feed the Russian Army. You can often mix-and-match pastas and vegetables as well. Believe me, there is no worse feeling when you are on a budget than throwing out food, and calculating in your head how much that cost.

2. Freezer bags can be used and used again! I took out the last of some ground beef for hamburgers tonight and the bag has written on it, ground beef. So, I put back in the freezer empty and the next time I need to freeze GB, will go use that bag instead of wasting a new one.

Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment