Monday, December 7, 2009

photocards and sacrifice

Last week I told my husband we really had to cut back. We were not going to be able to go all out at Christmas this year, we were just barely getting on our feet as it was. Furthermore, even though my birthday is this month, the only thing I want -- really want -- is for him to make me breakfast. Any money he would spend on a gift can go toward us having a bigger home, something I want so bad I can nearly taste it, in 2010.

The first thing I have decided to cut is photocards. He didn't believe me at first. Why on earth would I, the one who loves to show the world our adorable, happy, funny little guy, why would I decide against photocards? (It should be noted that my husband detests them, but has come around to them for us to send since the birth of our son). Simple, we can't afford them.

I am not going to send just 10. And even though some of the sites have been offering deals on picture cards, it still All Adds Up. After postage it's just too much. So, if you are reading this, and you are on our usual Christmas card list, I am sorry we won't be sending one of the Monkey this year.

In fact, sadly, in all probability, you won't be receiving any Christmas cards from us. The thing is, I hate the cards that come with just a signature. Did you not know you were sending to us? Whats the point? If I am getting a card, I want to know something. And since I want this in the cards I receive, I certainly demand it in the cards I send.

I toyed with the idea of just taking a picture of our son and putting it in a regular Christmas card and writing on that one. This would save us a pretty penny, especially if I could hit those xx prints for free sales that the online sites have on occasion. But I decided against this too because it would not be fair and I would not be able to write all I wanted to on each of the cards, not to mention that by now, Dec. 7, getting all these out in a timely manner was not going to happen.

Part of sacrifice is accepting and recognizing your limits. Its "OK" that we are not sending Christmas cards this year. And its "OK" that people we care about are not going to see the latest picture of our favorite little Monkey. Our true friends and family understand and will be all that more grateful for the picture card next year.

I am sure this will not be our only sacrifice, but it's the first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment