Monday, December 21, 2009

Coupons on the rise in 2009..and my new fav store

I know, file that under, "tell me something I don't already know." But this article was in the Baltimore Sun today and I thought appropriate.

I have found in the last three days some retailers have different takes on coupons that are not physically present at the time of purchase. The Old Navy store refused to offer my 30% coupon on Friday, despite having the code, because they said they need it "for their records." We are headed to visit the inlaws today, and need to get oil changed before the 9 hour journey. Our dealership Landmark Honda, has a promotion online and I called in advance. They said they would honor it, despite the fact we are unable to print out coupon.

Moral: Call and ask in advance, and you are likely to have better luck with smaller independent shops who want your business as opposed to big box chains.

Speaking of Big Box chains, I am adding REI to my list of favorite stores for customer service. They are top notch! As the "light dusting" we experienced this weekend was approaching on Friday, I went to five stores seeking toddler boots for our 18 mo son. I knew REI would be nauseatingly expensive, but I had no choice. Sure enough, when I got there, the boots were $40 and they WERE THE LAST PAIR! I didn't have The Monkey with me, so had to guess.

When I asked about their return policy, fearing they would say once you take them out of the store, tough cookies, the sales associate told me they had a 100% guarantee.

"Let him run around in the snow, if they don't fit or he hates them, you can return them," he said.

This was a tremendous load of my shoulders. Prior to the emergency black shoes I needed for the wedding last month, I can't tell you the last time I spent $40 on an item of clothing (including shoes) for me. I was willing to pay for them, IF THEY WORKED, but was sick that they would be too small, too big, or just downright uncomfortable and we would be on the hook.

Fast forward: We get a blizzard, and shoes are too small for The Monkey. He was miserable in them. I returned them yesterday to REI and they did not blink an eye. Boots returned. Money back. All is good in the world.

REI has made me a shopper for life, so thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment