Sunday, December 6, 2009

A note of caution...

It's easy to get carried away with all the deals. Buy one, get one. Save 40%. Buy this, get that free.

I found myself weighing this yesterday. If I paid even as little as $1, I would get a FREE 27 piece makeup kit. Seeing as the last time I bought makeup was my wedding, nearly 5 years ago, I thought maybe this would be a good deal. I looked through the website, and found body wash and nailpolish. Total bill was $5, and then with shipping, bill was $11.95. So for $11.95 I would get an obscene amount of makeup, body wash and nail polish. Was this really worth it?

I ultimately decided no. The only thing on this list that I really use is bath wash, and I can just as easily get twice as much for $4 at Target. It would be nice to have the other stuff, although heaven knows where I would put it in our 800 sf of love, so I said no.

So, before you hit the "submit" button on any of these deals, think about it. Come January are you really going to want that 27 piece set of makeup?

1 comment:

  1. I *really* appreciate this post, and have that exact same thought all the time. I think the holidays are terrible for encouraging excess. Not that America doesn't have a problem with that already... ;-)

    My mom and I discussed this problem at length a couple of weeks ago, and have decided that we'll adopt a family this Christmas. None of us really NEEDS anything more to clutter our homes. Other people really do NEED things. So we'll give gifts to those folks and we'll keep our make-up bins clutter free.

    Thanks again for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete