Monday, October 25, 2010

October was a bust

The best part about October is that it is almost over. We blew past all our budgets! But hopefully by getting in the swing of things now this will help us come the holidays.

Last night we had an awkward moment, so to speak. We went out to dinner to celebrate a family birthday. Our meals (the 3 of us) came to about $40 with tax and tip. But since it was a celebration originally there was talk of splitting the bill 3 ways. This would have made our portion $95. I couldn't do it. I was embarrassed, yes, but I couldn't do this. I felt a bit like Phoebe (or was it Rachel) and Joey in an old Friends episode where one had a salad and was going to pay $50.

I honestly told my brother and SIL we couldnt do this. They didn't seem upset and just said pay what you could. So we chipped in for the birthday boy dinner and added extra for tax and tip. Our total was considerably less than $95, and while it was momentary embarrassment, I can deal. Having an extra $40 on Amex when we can't afford it is not a good idea. I think/hope my bros understood.

Hopefully November will be better. We have a freezer full of food so we should be able to make most meals at home. And my husband and I came to an agreement about his lunches. It understandably gets boring have a deli sandwich every day. So he can go out once a week. But if he chooses to go out twice (ala last week) then the following week he can't go out at all.

We are making headway and I firmly believe all our struggles and money saving lessons are going to help us when (and not IF) we become more financially sound.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment