Friday, October 15, 2010

Making some progress

This week has been challenging. Some unexpected things came up (I guess they always do), and we are headed to Baltimore for the weekend, so this will clearly eat into our gas money.

First, the good. Its Friday, and we have spent $70 on food. With one day left, I am fairly confident that while we will be over our $85 total for food and gas, it won't be insane like it has the last week.

Second, I wrote that I signed up for Mint.com last week. Well so far I am loving it. It shows you everything in real time. So I know exactly how much we have in savings, expenses everything. It is tracking all of our deposits, way to save transfers and food. Its annoying that when I budgeted $41 for home insurance it sends me a big red flag alert that I went over when it was actually $41.26. I will fix that.

This month with daycare now out of the picture we should save $400. That will be a nice chunk of change. I found out yesterday by talking to Verizon if we dump my husband's cell phone we can save up to $65/month. Apparently his company can take over the number since they give him a cell anyway so he can keep it, but we are not paying double. If this works out, I will be esctatic for a number of reasons. We'll see.

I haven't written our menu for this week. Here goes.

Sunday: we ate out at a friends house -- Thanks Brownies for yummy pasta!
Monday: steak (we had frozen)
Tuesday: Chicken Hamburger Helper (we had frozen and had HH)
Wednesday: I went to Bmore to visit my Mom. It was my Dad's bday, and the first since his passing. I went to Wegmans there (my favorite) and got us something for dinner. My husband ordered Chinesse from the place I told him we didn't like. He remembered later why we didn't like it.
Thursday: Scallops, Sausage, Bacon and Spinich stirfry. Had everything frozen except lats two. Total was $5 at Trader Joes. I tweaked the recipe found here on Cooking Light so both of us could eat it, YUM!
Friday: pizza
Saturday: we will eat at my Mom's house.

More later. Sorry I have been MIA, as I said this week has been a little nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment