Thursday, June 21, 2012

I'm not alone in thinking women cant have it all


My friend Mike posted this article from The Atlantic and I cant tell you how glad it made me feel, while at the same time sad, to read it.  The good is: I am not alone in believing women simply cant have it all, no matter how hard we try.  The bad:  We cant have it all no matter how hard we try.

For me, I had the supportive husband and the flexible schedule, two things she mentions.  What I didn't have, at least now, was children of an age where they did not need me 24/7.  I didn't realize this until it was too late.  I think this is perhaps my biggest reason for failure.  Its been two weeks since I completed my last portion of the project I still haven't had the time to write an expense report.  I suppose I could be doing that now, but I wanted to write here, and I think I am prolonging the expense report because that's when this assignment will be completely done. Yes, I am in denial.

The point is, being a mom, especially to toddlers and a baby (she is 9 mos old, 9 mos!!) takes all day.  I am looking forward to the weekend so I can sort  my laundry.  I have had two showers this week, and that's an increase on last week only because I have been to the pool and sat in the Baby Pool (read Pee Pool) for hours.  I am just now getting caught up on bills.  I have foot problems and have been trying to find time to schedule a pedicure (which is honestly more for the massage than the actual artwork to my toes) for months -- not an exaggeration -- and fingers crossed, will finally get to go this weekend.

I watch my son entertain my daughter and she laughs with glee.

I sing to my daughter as she explores new food.

The three of us "rode a train" as my son was "the conductor" in the tent downstairs this morning.

I get to play in the aforementioned pool in 96 degree heat.

My daughter is frustrated since she is on the verge of crawling and my son rushes to comfort her.  I get to SEE this, and not hear about it.

So, it really is a life of sacrifice.  I love my life and my kids.  We are just going to be poor for the rest of our lives, or until I am able to go back to work.  As of tonight, being a SAHM is winning, even if the financial rewards are not as great.

No comments:

Post a Comment