Saturday, June 9, 2012

Invasion of the 4 years olds

Today we celebrated our son's birthday. We had 20 4 year olds and their respective parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, etc over to our house. It was a blast. I can honestly say I am pleased with how well things went. And my did my son ever score in the gift department. People's generosity always amazes me.

But because its me and this was a party for toddlers things never go as planned. I have to say from the get-go my day was made when my cousin by marriage told me how much fun he was having at a low key stress less party. I could have hugged him! This is exactly what I was hoping for :)

The party was scheduled to begin at 2 pm and at 11:30 I am still driving around trying to get the final touches accomplished. I bought picture frames for pictures I have wanted to hang since we moved in. But alas they didnt get framed until after the kids were asleep. (Sigh...)

I went to go get the cake. It wasnt ready. Translation: we are heading out of the house, all 4 of us at 12:45 to get the cake, and get a party favor for one person whom I forgot. We also had to pick up the balloons. We get home at 1:30 and I go take a shower. This is the first shower I have had in a week. Yeah, I know, disgusting. But showers are luxuries I just dont have anymore. Its the summer though, and since I hate air conditioning, am guessing I will be finding time to make more...if I dont no one will come near me.

At 1:42 my husband jumps in the shower.

No lie, people started showing up at 1:54! Who comes to a kiddie party EARLY?? By 1:57 I had three guests in my backyard. Now simultaneously two things happen: both of which make me screwed. First, I drop the salsa jar into the chip bowl, which of course shatters everywhere, so I have glass all over my table and the floor And I realize that one parent never RSVPd, so I have no personalized favor for one the boys!

I am frantic. I call my best friend and practically beg her, no order her, to go to Party City and pick up the favors. I send a picture, thank God for iPhones. I mean seriously, what did people do 20 years ago??? We couldnt leave, we were the hosts. I couldnt dare not have a favor for this kid. And you know, as the God's truth, this kid forgot his favor???

As for the glass, that was fun to clean up just as guests were arriving. I think though most parents these days get that you cant always be a meet and greeter. My husband was out there, and that was fine. No chance I was letting some kid step on glass less than 5 minutes into the party. We ordered pizza. Our niece did an awesome job face painting. We did a pinata. We ate cake. Must say cake from Giant, not all that great. But chips and salsa from Costco -- they are the bomb! I dont think I will ever buy regular chips and salsa again.

When all was said and done it was a great day. I think my son had a blast and I hope he remembers it. As for Mom and Dad, we did minimal cleaning. Now both our feet are drapped on the coffee table/ottoman. We have no desire to move. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment