Wednesday, February 3, 2010

HWDI: True partnership

I am typing this post on my Blackberry, let's see how this goes.

My son is falling asleep in his room. I am nearly 24 hours past a deadline for one of my freelance contracts and am so far behind another one I can't even see it. I feel like I have been running on tradmill non-stop for the last month.

So, the answer to the question, how we did it (or in this case) how we are doing it, (the it being staying financially and emotionally afloat) is simple: we are a true partnership.

My husband will surely laugh when he reads this. Just last night as he was playing Wii for the umpteenth consequetive night, as I was reading and writing about NASA's DART program and the different types of orbits a satellite can take, I got wimpy with him and told him how he was not affected by my working. He comes home, plays with our son for an hour or two, then our son goes to bed. I am either in the bedroom or on the couch doing work, while he gets to relax after a day of working in the office.

But that is simply not true. He has been affected. And he doesn't complain. He has done more of the cleaning up around the house, more of the dishwasher loading/unloading (a job we both hate) and more of the dinner prep. He has always been an active father, now he is more so. Today, when we learned just as he was cleaning off the car from last night's snow that daycare was infact closed, he was affected too. He is now planning on working a half-day so I can work in the afternoon.

A friend tells me often she thinks my husband and I are her only friends who are as in love with each other today as we were on the day we married. While its a compliment, I hope its not true. The key, I think, is communication. I have never once hesitated to tell my husband what I need and when. I am not talking about a mani-pedi here (although I wish for those plenty), but really need: help in the house, help with our son. I also am keenly aware of his needs: down time to play the dang Wii, extra sleep.

I am not an expert and don't pretend our lives are perfect. But I am able to do this freelance work which is the key to extricating ourselves from this 800 sf of love we call home because my husband helps me. I am grateful that my boss is unbelievably patient and understanding, and for that he has my unwavering loyalty. But my husband is my rock. He supports me in my efforts and I his. I firmly believe if a marriage is based on these principles, whatever hardships come our way, we can handle them.

So Honey, thank you! I am sorry I got wimpy last night. It was out of jealousy. I want my free time back, but we both want a bigger home, and I appreciate your supporting me in this freelance work to get us to that point more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment