Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Days like today, I have no idea how we are doing it...we just are

The snow is so bad outside, coupled with the wind, that the plows have stopped running.

We have been in our house, pretty much non-stop, since Thursday night. That's six days ago.

We have been without a dryer for three weeks. Was supposed to be fixed yesterday, but because of SnoMG 1.0, our repair man couldn't make it. Now I wonder with SnoMG 2.0, if he will be able to come on Monday. One can hope.

Our son has a stomach virus. This has meant he has been throwing up since Sunday. So we can wash his clothes (and ours) that are puked on, but drying them, well that's a different story.

My house is such a mess right now that I would be mortified, and I mean really mortified if anyone saw how we were living. Between the clothes -- dirty, clean and drying -- our entire home looks worse than anything frat boys could come up with. Remember that line about "Make sure everytime you go out you wear clean underwear, that way if you are in accident the medics won't think you are a stinkpuss." If the medics had to God-forbid come here right now, they would surely think we had lost our minds.

This morning I stepped on an earring that had fallen on the ground. It was a direct hit to the ankle, blood everywhere. I am only grateful that it was me, and not our son, who stepped on it. THAT would have been a nightmare.

I am STILL so far behind on my deadline that I can't see it. I told my editor this morning she is either a saint or a mom herself (perhaps both!). I would have fired myself weeks ago.

We have heat (at least for now), same goes for power. Many in our area are not so lucky. We have food, tonight I am making bacon topped steak with garlic and rosemary, and fresh mashed potatoes. Yes, I stocked up last week, but also I was so overdue for shopping that I just bought a regular amount and we have not strayed since.

Did I mention our dryer has been out of commission for three weeks?

I love the snow. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE being a Mom. I don't mind being up at 2:30 with puke all over me, and then not sleeping for the next four hours while I rest on the couch with son who has no where else to sleep. There is no place else I would rather be. I wouldn't believe this either if I wasn't a Mom, but I am sure the Mom's out there know what I am talking about. This is EXACTLY why I am a stay at home mom.

But I do mind that I am behind. I do mind that on this six day "vacation" I have not managed to do a single thing from the master "to do" list because there was no way for it to be done. I hate that I have become, at least for now, THAT woman who can't get something done because of the demands of her top boss. This makes me sad and frustrated more than words can express.

My husband is now playing with our son. Its their favorite game of hiding behind the door and our son closes it, and opens it..."BAH!" is their universal word for fun.

And I am in our room, looking at the snow blowing off the trees, or whats left of the trees I should say. I am hoping to finish my work that was due noon on MONDAY tonight. That way I can start work on the next project which is due noon on Friday...maybe if we get more snow and my son fully recovers I can get it done by Sunday...

Yeah right.

2 comments:

  1. The dryer thing would be so old by now. Particularly with a sick little boy and no way to get to a laundromat, it would really, really suck. Are there any neighbors you can explain the situation to? I'm sure anyone would dry a load or two of your clothes so you can put JPB into bed in clean sheets.

    As for the deadlines, time management and Mother Nature and toddlers are difficult to line up.

    I know just how the juggling of so many things gets you to the breaking. Moving into a house that wasn't 1) cleaned or 2) emptied a week before Christmas with very limited help and then all these things started happening the second we moved in, I was in fits of tears nearly every day for a few weeks.

    There's only a few things you can control right now, and that would make anyone harried. But I think getting a few loads of clothes back on beds/in dressers will make your living space more tolerable and your mind clearer, so I'd ask a neighbor to lend a hand up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss J's Mom,
    Thanks! We actually do have very good neighbors. I was able to do a few loads of essentials the other night at my one neighbor's because she was away. I am sure if we asked others they would offer as well. I am all for asking for help when needed, we just haven't gotten to that point...YET!

    You nailed it on the head though. There are only so many things I can control. I can't control my son's virus, my fire-prone dryer or Sears utter lack of motivation to fix the product. I can control that I spend any free time working on my projects. I admit though my jealousy meter still runs high when my husband gets to play Wii at night and I am stuck on the couch reading about solid rocker boosters.

    ReplyDelete