Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pennies in a jar

Lots of them! And nickels, dimes, quarters and even a few of the new gold dollar coins...not to mention spare dollars we have here and there. And what was the total...$142 and change!

Every year about this time I dump the big water bottle I have and count the money inside. A few years back I had $131 and thought that was good. I even joked with my husband tonight that I didn't think we would come close to the previous high. I was wrong.

This is how I do it. In July I start collecting all the spare change left in pockets for laundry, on tables, the couch, wherever I find it. I start putting in the water bottle. I also ad spare dollars that we have at the end of weeks floating around, as well as FIP money we receive from aunts, parents, etc. If something is sold on Craigslist, the money goes in the bottle too.

I know $142 isn't a lot. But its nice to have that money NOW and its money we wouldnt otherwise have if we didn't collect and place in the bottle. Even our son has gotten in the habit. He sees spare pennies or dimes on the floor and he runs to place in the big water bottle.

Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment