Tuesday, September 28, 2010

We are down to less than $20

So we began yesterday with $60. Since then we have spent $25 on gas for both cars, $1 for metered parking and $15 at Target for some food essentials. So its Tuesday night and we have (drumroll)...$19 to get us to Saturday night. I admit I am not optimistic, but this exercize is good in that it has made me think long and hard about what we need and what we need now. Target is a very dangerous place you know.

The other thing I realized is when I made this decision on Sunday, I forgot to factor in some yearly expenses that, ironically, are coming due now. So not included in our budget is the nearly $500 the good state of Virginia charges us for the privledge to drive here...yippy.

Saturday can't come soon enough.

2 comments:

  1. $85 for a week, including food and gas, is very, very tight. We are extremely frugal with grocery shopping, and I don't think we could get lower than $60-70/week for food. Any less than that is nearly impossible unless we're completely stocked on food going into the week and then defer the staples until the next week. If you add in gas (2 cars, 8 mile commute each way to work), we're at least another $40-50/week for gas. $100-120 a week seems much more realistic, and that doesn't include any pocket change for $1 here, $2 there types of things.

    Maybe $85/week excluding gas is more reasonable?

    I just don't want you to get discouraged because $85/week is very, very tight. This is coming from a very frugal person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I so appreciate your thoughts! I am finding it hard, and you are right. So far we have had the food in our fridge, so we'll see how it goes. I welcome your tips though. Thanks for helping to keep me honest.

    ReplyDelete