Sunday, September 26, 2010

Back to being honest

I have gotten out of habit of writing here, and it has shown on our monthly budget. So today after I decided to redo everything and see where things stand (and not liking what I saw), I decided I am coming back and STAYING! And if its only interseting to me and helps keep me honest, so be it.

I read somewhere recently that its easier to budget for a week than a month, this sounds right. So starting this week, we will have $85 to spend out of pocket on all items not regularly billed, this includes food and gas. This is $85 total for both of us. And once the $85 is gone, its gone. Not included in this $85 are things we previously committed to as of TODAY, or say big items like mortgage and car payment. It also doesn't include the money we are saving each month, currently $100.

Each day I pack a lunch for my husband, so that helps us save considerably. Beginning today though I have planned out our meals for the week. For the most part I am pleased to say we have nearly all the ingredients in the house. This weeks menu:

Sunday: burgers (ground beef here), need to buy buns.
Monday: Steak (have here frozen). Using this recipe from Ree Drummond, and we have all the ingredients sans the cream. I am going to substitute half and half to save money, will let you know how it goes.
Tuesday: Chicken Friend Rice Hamburger Helper (have)
Wednesday: I am doing my monthly ethnic dinner with my brother, so my husband will be home. He will have pasta and sausage (which we already have).
Thursday: Crock Pot meal TBD
Friday: Homemade pizza. Need to buy dough, but have toppings and fixins already.
Saturday: Crab feast, previously committed to.

Each night I will come on and let you know what we spent/bought and how we are doing.

Anything left over from the $85 will go back into the monthly pot, and at the end of the month if there is anything, will be put into savings. I guess the first update will be on Oct. 24, since I am starting this on Sept. 26.

Happy Sunday everyone and go Ravens!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment