Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Organic v. savings?

We are trying to eat healthier. For a host of reasons I have been reading labels, tracking vitamin content and making choices. An example, on vacation last month, my father-in-law told me my fat-free half-and-half was really just high fructose corn syrup. I had no idea. I will read labels up and down for my son, but never had before this for us.

Until now.

This week I spent $10 on two boxes of cereal bars for my husband for work. Expensive, but at $2 per meal over a two week period, I could stomach it. THen I compared against the cereal bars I buy for the monkey, and his bars are just as good at $1.69 a box! I can buy three boxes of his for the price of one for my husband. Since they are just as good, my husband and son will now have the same ones...that is once my hubby has finished his 24k gold-filled cereal bars. Ugh.

I read this article in Time yesterday with interest. It was the first one in awhile I had sat down and read. Now I am wondering if I should buy organic all the time? I have been hearing from friends organic milk is the way to go, and I am nearly convinced. With the egg recalls, I am wondering if we should get organic eggs too. The health content makes it a no brainer, but the price is insane. I am at a loss. And then meat, fruits and veggies too?

So I don't know. What I do know is I want my family to eat healthy. I don't want us in debt to the high ceilings. And I definitely want us all to live long healthy lives. I don't have any solutions....what are yours?

1 comment:

  1. I think that the dairy is important- especially for little ones since they get full-fat dairy and the fat is where a lot of the nasty stuff "sticks." If you don't want to spring for organic milk I strongly suggest at least trying to find milk that comes from cows that don't get rBST. It's a hormone that is strongly linked to breast cancer - banned in Canada, Europe, Japan, etc. but still allowed here- shockingly it's made by Eli Lilly, same company that makes a major breast cancer med as well- fishy, no?
    Look up the "Dirty Dozen." There are lists out there of what fruits & veg are worth buying organic and which are not.
    Look into farmer's markets - they aren't always expensive. You might be able to find a local farmer who can provide you with safe local fresh eggs that perhaps aren't certified organic *wink*

    ReplyDelete